View results from:
mathematics in WordNet English dictionary
- a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement
mathematics math maths
WordNet Lexical Database v3.0, © 2006 Princeton University
mathematics in Webster's English dictionary
- That science, or class of sciences, which treats of the exact relations existing between quantities or magnitudes, and of the methods by which, in accordance with these relations, quantities sought are deducible from other quantities known or supposed; the science of spatial and quantitative relations.
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, Public Domain
mathematics in English Wiktionary
- (noun) An abstract representational system used in the study of numbers, shapes, structure and change and the relationships between these concepts.
- (noun) A person's ability to count, calculate, and use different systems of mathematics at differing levels.
Wiktionary, GNU Free Documentation Licence
'mathematics' English examples of use
- He derided his student's attempt to solve the biggest problem in mathematics
- I'm hopeless at mathematics
- a good grounding in mathematics
- although dull at classical learning , at mathematics he was uncommonly quick - Thackeray
- he has a flair for mathematics
- higher mathematics
- his major field was mathematics
- mathematics is the basis for much scientific knowledge
| More examples for 'mathematics'|
This English dictionary allows you to
look up English keywords in several large English dictionaries at the same time.
These English dictionaries are currently available: WordNet English dictionary, Webster's unabridged English dictionary,
English wiktionary and Easton's bible dictionary.
This English dictionary contains about 300 000 unique keywords and about 600 000 unique definitions.
English example sentences containing
the entered keyword are also listed.
More definitions at: